Kinesiology Department Mission
As an academic unit of the Wiess School of Natural Sciences, the Kinesiology Department is committed to health promotion, disease prevention, and training in the sciences of health and human movement.
Our faculty strive for excellence in providing:
- Relevant research in the sports medicine and health sciences areas
- Professional education in the classroom
- Industry opportunities in the form of internships with cutting edge organizations
- Opportunities to pursue graduate professional degrees.
This is accomplished through appropriate knowledge concerning the practice and application of the health science and sports medicine curriculums.
By giving to the Kinesiology Department, your donation will help fund the following examples of current needs:
- Upgrading the department's undergraduate teaching laboratory space and gaining equipment to increase our undergraduate experience at Rice. Our department could best serve our growing population of majors by offering a state-of-the-art Exercise Physiology teaching laboratory. This teaching laboratory would also serve collaboratively as classroom and training space for our courses, including Rice EMS.
- The Hermance Award is presented annually to graduating seniors in the Kinesiology Department who have exhibited exemplary qualities of scholarship, leadership, character, and service during their undergraduate experience. This award is in honor of Dr. Gilbert Hermance, who was a faculty member and Chair from the 1930’s to the 1970’s, and made numerous valuable contributions to our department.
If you would like to know more about how you can support the Kinesiology Department, please contact the Wiess School of Natural Sciences Director of Development Jackie Macha at firstname.lastname@example.org or 713-348-4268.
Rice University is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization qualified to receive deductible contributions. Tax Identification Number 74-1109620. Thank you for helping support our mission to invest in our undergraduate student experience.
Please make your check payable to "Rice University Kinesiology Department” and mail to the address below. This will ensure that our department receives your entire donation.
Rice University, MS-545
P.O. Box 1892
Houston, TX 77251-1892
Each gift received will be acknowledged by the Kinesiology Department, and the Rice University Resource Development office will send a separate receipt.